VIDEO | HOW TO INSTALL A CENTERED ZIPPER
The centered zipper is used in center front or center back seams at the neckline or waistline. If you don't mind the stitching to be visible on the right side of your garment, the centered zipper is the go-to zipper application.
click play to watch the video tutorial!
TOOLS + SUPPLIES
- your project
- all-purpose zipper
- zipper foot
- wonder tape
- tailor’s chalk
- seam ripper
HOW TO INSTALL A CENTERED ZIPPER
1. Clip your project at the notch.
2. Baste the seam down to the notch. Then, sew a regular straight stitch the rest of the way down.
3. Press the seam open.
4. On the right side of the fabric, draw a guideline 1/4” - 3/8” from each side of the seamline.
5. Apply wonder tape to the front of both sides of the zipper.
6. Align the bottom stop of the zipper with the notch while aligning the zipper teeth with the center of the seam.
7. Find the bottom stop of the zipper and mark right underneath it.
8. Switch to a zipper foot.
9. Stitch the zipper in place. Sew on the guidelines.
10. Using a seam ripper, remove the basting stitches.
11. Give it a good press.