ESSENTIAL SEWING TOOLS & SUPPLIES + PRINTABLE SHOPPING LIST
One of my favorite things about sewing are the tools. They're just so darn cool! I mean...who can pass up beautiful fabric shears or pretty pearl head pins? Not me. Nerdy...I know. Over the years, I've accumulated so many tools and supplies. Some I use everyday and some not so much. I've learned (sometimes the hard way) that having the proper tools handy will save you so much time, energy, and beautiful fabric in the long run.
I've put together a list of tools and supplies that I reach for and use on a regular basis. If you're serious about sewing, you'll definitely need these tools in your sewing arsenal.
NEEDLES & MISC.
1. Pins - to pin patterns to fabric and seams together.
2. Pin cushion - to keep all your pretty little pins organized.
3. Safety pins - to hold fabric together or for turning loops.
4. Thimble - to protect your finger when hand sewing.
5. Hand sewing needles - for stitching by hand.
6. Machine sewing needles - for stitching with your sewing machine.
7. Thread - to stitch fabric.
8. Bobbins - extra bobbins so you don't waste unused thread.
9. Fabric marker - for marking dart points and match points on fabric.
10. Chalk pen - for marking dart points and match points on fabric.
11. Tailor's chalk - for marking dart points and match points on fabric.
12. Awl - for marking dart points and match points
13. Tracing wheel - for tracing pattern lines and seam
lines for stitching.
14. Loop turner - for turning loops right side out.
15. Point turner - for poking corners and angles right side out.
16. Bodkin - works like a tweezer to help draw elastic or cording through casings.
17. Seam gauge - for measuring seam allowance.
18. Tape measure - for measuring patterns and fabric.
19. Transparent graph ruler - for marking and measuring patterns.
20. French curve - for marking curved lines on patterns.
21. Fabric shears - to cut fabric.
22. Paper scissors - to cut patterns.
23. Pinking shears - to neaten raw edges of seams.
24. Embroidery scissors - to trim threads and to cut close to edge and stitching.
25. Applique scissors - to cut close to edge and
26. Thread clippers - to snip threads.
27. Rotary cutter - to cut fabric.
28. Seam ripper - to remove unwanted stitching.