VIDEO | HOW TO GATHER FABRIC
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO GATHER FABRIC?
To gather fabric means to draw up fabric fullness along the stitchline. You would gather fabric to create ruffles, ruching, puffed sleeves, etc…
CLICK PLAY TO WATCH THE VIDEO TUTORIAL!
1. Set you machine to its longest stitch length.
2. Sew a row of basting stitches 1/2” away from the raw edge. Don’t backstitch!
3. Then, sew another row of basting stitches 1/4” away from the first row. Don’t backstitch!
4. Separate the top threads from the bobbin threads.
5. Hold the bobbin threads with one hand while the other hand scoots the fabric along the threads. Make sure to evenly distribute the gathers.
6. Secure the gathers in place by tying the thread tails in a basic overhand knot.
7. Clip the thread tails.